Brussels sprouts may be the world’s most hated vegetables. I really don’t understand why. They are so good when prepared nicely, so if you are one of the haters, I really encourage you to give this recipe a go. It’s absolutely delish and I cannot get enough of it! Plus it’s so easy to keep Christmas healthy-ish with side dishes like these. If you want some more tips and tricks on how to navigate Christmas successfully, sign up to my newsletter now and receive my guide to a balanced Christmas with my next newsletter going out next weekend!
Easy Brussels Sprouts with Walnuts and Cranberries
Dairy-free, gluten-free, vegan.
This is the perfect little side dish at Christmas to keep your veggie intake up. Alternatively, eat it all by yourself with a bit of leftover turkey or other protein as a healthy meal in between all the other goodies that are being served at Christmas!
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2-3 handful of Brussels sprouts, halved or quartered (depending on size)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 8-10 walnuts, broken into smaller pieces
- 2 tbsp dried cranberries (ideally without added sugar)
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- In a frying pan, dry toast the walnuts over medium to high heat until fragrant. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the olive oil and the Brussels sprouts to the pan. Stir the Brussels sprouts regularly until they start turning golden at places. Add in the onion and fry for another 2 minutes or until they turn see through.
- Add about 50 mL of water to the pan to cook the Brussels sprouts through.
- Add in the walnuts and cranberries and stir through. Season with salt and pepper to taste.