Ok, let’s be upfront: I was an honest believer of kale salads just being another one of these crazy American obsessions that people took way out of proportion. For a long time, I just never got it and was not even interested in getting it. Then a friend of mine shared a recipe for kale with me and… oh bliss! I absolutely loved it. So much that each autumn I now get super excited when I finally see kale in the shops again. It’s about time I shared some of my current obsession with you, a combo of grapefruit and avocado combined with a bit of a crunch of hemp seeds amidst shredded kale. Heaven! Maybe the Americans are not so crazy after all?!
Kale Salad with Acovado and Grapefruit
Dairy-free, gluten-free, nut-free, vegan.
The avocado makes sure you get extra healthy fat into the meal which helps to keep you fuller for longer. The grapefruit brings in Vitamin C which helps the adsorption of the iron in kale.
To shred the kale, I found it easiest to use a small food processor. It can be quite tough, so it is important to get it in really quite small pieces so that it tenderizes when you massage it.
- 2-3 large leaves of kale, washed and inner rib removed
- 1 grapefruit, peeled and filleted
- 1 small avocado, core removed and chopped into small pieces
- 1-2 tbsp hemp seeds
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- Juice of half a large lemon
- Natural salt and pepper (optional)
- Finely chop the kale (I usually use a S blade in a small food processor – like the ones’ you use to chop onions) and add to a large bowl.
- Mix the olive oil and lemon juice together, then pour over the kale and massage the kale for 1 -2 minutes with your hands to tenderize it.
- Add the avocado, the hemp seeds and the grapefruit pieces to the kale, mix it all up and enjoy!