Ever heard about cauliflower rice? It’s an idea coming out of the Paleo food movement and it is an amazing way to pack a bunch of nutrients in a simple meal. Essentially, you just grind the cauliflower florets in an electric food processor until you have rice like pieces and use it as you would use normal rice. You can make all sorts of fun things with it, so here is an inspiration to get you started!
Fried cauliflower rice with salmon
Dairy-free, gluten-free, nut-free.
If you are just starting out on a plant-based, flexitarian diet I strongly recommend to you paying close attention to how you feel at the end of the meal. Are you full and satisfied with your meal? Are you overly full? The portion is quite large and because the base of the meal is low in calories, make sure to eat sufficient to keep you going until your next meal or be aware if you have not eaten enough and need to snack soon after. It’s all about finding balance with your new eating habits and as such you need to become really aware of your needs.
– 1 small head of cauliflower, leaves removed and broken into florets
– 1 leek, washed and sliced into rings
– 8 spring onions, washed and thinly sliced
– 250g mushrooms, sliced
– ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
– pinch of dried piri piri chillies (or other)
– 200g corn kernels (from a jar)
– 2 pieces of salmon
– 2 tbsp coconut oil
– freshly ground pepper
– pink Himalayan salt or Celtic sea salt
– hand full of fresh, chopped coriander
- Heat up 1 tbsp coconut oil in a pan on medium to high heat. Once molten, add the salmon to the pan and fry for about 10-15 minutes, turning the fish over as needed and seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
- Whilst the fish is cooking, either grate the cauliflower florets or use a small, electronic kitchen machine to break it down into rice like particles.
- Heat up the remaining coconut oil in a separate pan (ideally a wok) on high heat and add the chopped leek, mushrooms and spring onions. Fry for 7-8 minutes until golden.
- Keep an eye on the fish; you don’t want it to burn.
- Add the cauliflower rice to the wok and continue frying the vegetables whilst stirring regularly for another 3-4 minutes. Add in the cayenne pepper and the piri piri chilli, and add salt and pepper to taste. Fry for another 2 minutes before adding the corn kernels.
- Divide the cauliflower rice in two portions and serve with one piece of salmon and coriander each. Enjoy!