You all love those frozen coffees and iced drinks at various café outlets, right? I know I do and I hope I am not alone! However, when I think of the amount of sugar, artificial flavours and what else in those drinks, it puts me off right away. It does not mean, though, I don’t want them. Playing about with various ratios of ingredients of a green smoothie recipe from the lovely Rochelle over at EatSmileLive, I managed to come up with this recipe. Oh, and boy, do I love it. It’s an amazing fruity iced drink (or slushy), perfect for summer and containing the good stuff only. I had to share it with you, so here it is!
Strawberry and basil ‘green’ iced smoothie
Dairy-free, gluten-free, nut-free, vegan.
Perfect for the hot weather we are having at the moment the light, fruity freshness of this drink will ban any cravings for iced drinks at conventional café shops instantly and give you a whole glass full of nutrient rich goodness!
- 20 large frozen strawberries
- 6-8 large basil leaves
- a large handful of spinach (come on, be brave!)
- 2 tsp honey
- 500 mL coconut milk (I use the Koko brand which comes in 1 L Tetrapaks)
- pinch of salt (I recommend Himalayan or Celtic sea salt)
- 1.5 cm vanilla bean (or vanilla powder or paste)
- Combine all ingredients in a high speed blender, blend for 30 s, pour into a glass, then enjoy! (If you do not have a high speed blender, use your normal blender and just blend a few minutes instead).