Remember my intention to eat #366portionofgreens at the beginning of this year? Well, I am still on it. However, I have my #366portionsofgreens in all sorts and shapes and forms and varieties, because quite honestly, if I had to have salad every day I would have been quite bored, quite quickly. Instead, I keep it fun and easy. It’s all about making it doable, right?! Hence, here is one of my many ways of getting those greens in. After all, they are SO good for you! Plus it’s an easy recipe quickly put together for a light lunch or a snack.
Green avocado cream on sourdough bread with cress
Dairy-free, wheat-free, nut-free, vegan.
This is a perfect recipe for a quick and easy snack or lunch or even dinner, if you want to keep it light. You will get a good portion of greens well hidden in the creamy nutrient rich goodness that avocados provide. It’s topped off with fried mushrooms which quite frankly are a treat in themselves. Enjoy!
- 1 small, ripe avocado
- 75g spinach leaves, washed
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 200g mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 2 slices of spelt sourdough bread (or just sourdough or a gluten-free bread if you require gluten-free)
- a bit of cress
- freshly ground pepper
- Celtic sea or Himalayan rock salt
- Heat the coconut oil in a small pan and add the mushrooms on medium to high heat to fry them until golden (ca. 10 minutes). Season with salt and pepper.
- In the meantime, cut the avocado in half, remove the core and use a spoon to remove the flesh.
- Add the avocado flesh in a small electric blender (or use a measuring jug and a hand blender) alongside the spinach, lemon juice and olive oil. Blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Toast the sourdough bread until slightly golden.
- Divide the avocado cream evenly between the two slices of toast and spread the cream across the whole surface. Add half a portion of mushrooms onto each toast and decorate with cress. Serve and enjoy.